Tonight, I'm hopefully playing a little Space Hulk at my FLGS. I have the latest edition of the game, but only got to play it briefly once or twice when I first got it. So when I got the opportunity to try a big game of it this evening, that seemed like a good plan.
Eventually, I'd like to get my set painted up. I know the Blood Angels will go to good use on the game table as part of an army, but I'm don't foresee Tyranids anywhere in my future. On the other hand, a very nicely painted Space Hulk set would be a great accomplishment.
I cranked in a few more unmanageable power weapons for the second half of the squad. I couldn't leave any of the cool stuff on the sprue. I made the thunder hammer one handed, and there are a couple power weapons as well. A couple melta guns and the like round things out. Sure, we'll have a little counts as going to pull the squad below four hundred points, but right now I figure it could take down just about anything that gets in its way, so that's fun. I figure it'll be nice to pick and choose with smaller DC squads out of the ten options, and then pack them in with a Chaplain type friend.
I should have put this up earlier, but got busy last week. For those of you who haven't listened to a little Brohammer yet, or missed the first episode, you'll want get on over to http://brohammercast.blogspot.com/ and download now, or do so on Itunes. It's a quality show!
They've got some new segments:
-2 Engineers, 1 Cop: 'nuff said
-Work in Warhammer:
Long segment where Tom talks about getting some work done on his vintage Wood Elf army. Kevin talks about trading and Erik talks about commision work
-Coming Events Section
-BRAND NEW ** SARS Section:
We talk about tricky rules and cheater dice!
Because Bestigors are really, really expensive. Seriously, Eighth Edition made big blocks of infantry awesome, and that's been a lot of fun, but the cost of armies has gone way up along at the same time. A block of thirty Bestigors is about $120 U.S. at retail. I use a couple of these "herdstones" in each unit to fill the unit out, without breaking the bank.
The stones themselves were easy to make. I took some oven-bake clay from the local craft store, and molded the shape out. After they baked, I painted them in stone colors, and then put a little dab of bloody rune on each one. They're on fifty millimeter bases, so each represents four Bestigors in a unit. I space them out in the second-fourth ranks, and they fit in really well.
I will most likely do something like this for all future armies, like flagellants dragging a shrine, etc. It saves me some money, and adds a little something extra to the army, so everyone wins!
Painting the Death Company has been amazing. After painting one hundred Gors, being able to really focus on detail work and high quality has been a ton of fun. The models are incredibly detailed. My first five DC are armed with two power fists, a power weapon, a plasma gun and two hand flamers. Optimally equipped? Not so much, but I wanted to use all the bits and bobs on the sprue, and I a) won't use all ten of the DC regularly and b) am not worried about WYSIWYG for things like the hand flamers.
Also, check out the photo...as me taking pictures goes, it's not too terrible. Maybe I'm finally getting the hang of things.
After painting the one hundred Gors, I got a little tired. It's always nice to have some characterful models to paint after working on a big batch, so I started with Charles Sharkley from a couple posts back. He was still a bit Gor-like, and I really wasn't feeling up to doing a squad of something, but I knew I had to get some Blood Angels done.
Enter the Death Company.
I put together ten models, with parts mixed between the Death Company box and an Assault Squad box. Every single model is like painting a character. They have details upon details upon details, with cool weapons to spare. What an awesome kit. I've base coated them all, and am now painting them one at a time. Thanks to GW and the designers for an awesome painting and modeling experience!
I was lucky enough to pick up a Dark Eldar Codex last night. Since I have a large Dark Elf army in Fantasy, the book has a lot of attraction for me. I grabbed an Archon model while I was at it, so we'll see how far this flight of fancy takes me. More on the book next week!
Full Disclosure: This is the model "Rumscratch" from Reaper Miniatures. However, the moment I laid eyes on the model, I knew that he would be a part of my Beastmen army. I mean, he's a dwarf. And a Pirate. And a Wereshark. I'll give you a few minutes to take in the majesty that is...Charles Sharkley, Sharkagor.
My first fifty Gors are now finished and based. Here's the picture of numbers one through twenty-five. A few notes:
* I went with orange fur, and purple cloth on the "clothes". This fit into my "He-Man" Beastman theme, and also just makes them look different from the tired "dirty brown and gray" paint scheme that I had before.
* The banner is a Beastman banner with the odd skull head. It's one of the few non-other army banners I have so far, as I'm trying to get a lot of "despoiled" banners in there. The design is supposed to look like someone smeared blood and other such fluids on it nonsensically.
* The basing is sand, followed by patches made from a mixture of light green and yellow grass.
I hope you like them. As always, comments and criticism are welcome.