Upcoming North Carolina Tournaments





Wednesday, January 19, 2011

One Year On - Beastmen Army Review, Part Two



Special:

The two choices I do not like in the Special Section are Centigors and Minotaurs. 

Minotaurs are good at hitting things hard.  Unfortunately, they are completely fragile and are expensive as all get out.  Gaining attacks is awesome, but I've found that the rate at which I lose minotaurs is usually far greater than the rate of gaining attacks.  They also can't chase things down effectively due to only pursuing 1d6.  Grade:  C

Centigors are one of my least favorite choices in the book, which is unfortunate, since I love the models.  However, they are very expensive and fragile, as well as being Initiative 2.  This means taking hits and wounds before doing damage in almost every combat.  At their point cost, it's just not affordable or effective.  Grade: D

Harpies I'm ambivalent about.  Sure, they can scout and cause merry hell in the back lines of some armies, but they'll cost you an arm and a leg to do so.  Once again, they're fragile, and heaven forbid you have to ever take a leadership check from shooting, as they will turn tail quickly.  Grade: C

Razorgor Chariots are okay, but if I feel the need for Chariots, I'll look to the regular core version instead.  Razorgor Chariots hit a bit harder, but they cost too much extra for that little bit of extra power and the ability to cause fear.  They were better in seventh, when fear really mattered.  Grade: C+

On the other hand, I really like Razorgors and Bestigors. 

I use Razorgors like High Elf players use Eagles.  I run them singly, and use them to hunt warmachines, make life uncomfortable for mages, and assist in combats to turn them into routs.  They can often "snake the gap" through units to hit artillery pieces.  At 55 points, they're also relatively expendable. and tend to get shot at nicely while the real threats in the army advance unscathed.

I love Bestigors, and they've been in every army I've run in eighth.  I hated them in Seventh Edition, but in Eighth they are better than Minotaurs in every conceivable way.  Let's try an example.  Say I take ~365 points of Minotaurs.  I can have six, with additional hand weapons.  At the same cost, I can have 27 Bestigors with Full Command and a Flame Banner.  Both units hit hard, but are toughness four.  The minotaurs have light armor to the Bestigors heavy armor. Initially, the Minotaurs will generate more attacks.  However, as the units take wounds, the (let's say six wide) unit of Bestigors will continue to generate their (often rerolling to hit) attacks, while the minotaurs will quickly dwindle.  If twelve wounds are taken, you're down to two minotaurs, but still have fifteen Bestigor.  They'll also have ranks and banners much more efficiently.  As I said, I use them in every army.  Grade:  A


Rare: 

There is no hope for anyone in this section.  The three types of Giants and Jabbersclyte are all very cool in concept, but ultimately will die fairly quickly to missile fire or the first decent combat unit they hit.  They just can't take enough hits to be effective.  Grade: D.



To illustrate my thoughts, here's a 2500 point list I run:

Beastlord with Heavy Armor, Shield, Gnarled Hide, Ramhorn Helm, Brass Cleaver, Dawnstone - 239 points.
Great Bray Shaman with Level Four, AHW, Tal. Of Pres., Stone of Spite, Jagged Dagger, Shadow - 309 points.

Wargor BSB with Armour of Destiny, Great Weapon - 143
Gorebull with Heavy Armor, Shield, Dragonhelm, Axes of Khorgor - 222
Level One Shaman with Dispel Scroll, Additional Hand Weapon, Beasts - 102
Level One Shaman with Feedback Scroll, Additional Hand Weapon, Beasts - 127

29 Gors with Full Command, Additional Hand Weapons - 257
29 Gors with Full Command, Additional Hand Weapons - 257
21 Ungors with Standard Bearer - 111

27 Bestigor with Full Command, Flame Banner - 364
26 Bestigor with Full Command, War Banner - 367

No comments:

Post a Comment