Upcoming North Carolina Tournaments





Tuesday, June 29, 2010

How to Glue Metal Models Together the Easy Way

I've always found the actual assembly of metal models to be a pain in the rear.  I love the detail on metal models, and the heft is nice, but I've always either had to pin, which I hate, or use green stuff, which gets really messy really fast. 

A couple weeks ago I got an email from Powerposey, who writes over at The Accursed Crozius.  He had heard an idea for using styrofoam to glue models together.  I decided to give it a try. 

First, I applied glue to my Hydra, on the butt end where his tail had broken.  I just broke a small piece off of some styrofoam from my garage. 


Then I applied a little more glue over the styrofoam to melt it, and attached the tail.  I pressed them together for about 5-10 seconds.


The tail stuck right on.  A day later, and I can pick up the hydra by the tail and shake it.  It's like the tail is now permanently attached. 

Since then, I've used this method on lots of different models.  I've made more progress in assembly in a few days than I have in weeks.  I put together the Dire Troll Bomber in a few minutes, and even put together The Sanguinor, which normally would be pretty tricky.  It was a piece of cake. 




I highly suggest this method, as it has made my life with metal models so much easier.  Give it a shot!

4 comments:

  1. I am so glad you tried this out as I was skeptical about it. I have some terradons I need to try it out on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to be sure - the glue was regular superglue (Cyanoacrylate), or other one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does it give off any more-than-normal chemical smells when mixing the Styrofoam and super glue?

    ReplyDelete