Upcoming North Carolina Tournaments





Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Assembly Line (or how to paint 100 Gors at once)!



A few weeks ago, I decided I really didn't like my Beastmen paint scheme.  My army is flesh and brown with green leather...it's a fairly typical GW Beastman paint scheme, and maybe that's why it didn't appeal to me.  I've also gotten really tired of working with my homemade snow, as it's a pain in the butt.  So I'm stripping down my models, and repainting like a fiend.

For some awful reason, I decided I'd paint my one hundred Gors first, so as to get them done.  The basic scheme was to have regular flesh, orange fur, and purple paints, a la your hero and mine:



Well, maybe not quite so orange.

So I lined 'em up, and got to work.  Each model got one of each coat as I went through.  The basic process went:

1.  Flesh
2.  Orange fur
3.  Silver Metal (weapons and such)
4.  Brown woods
5.  Off white horns, hooves and bones
6.  Purple leathers
7.  Bronze for the ornamentation.
8.  Red Eyes
9.  Flesh Wash
10.  Sepia Wash
11.  Face Paint Details

It's been some madness, but I've finished with step nine at this point, and am on the home stretch.  It's been three weeks, give or take, painting about two evenings a week while my Mrs. watches television or works on her work.  I'm lucky enough that I have a temporary painting area set up nearby.  

With this many models, you have to be able to sit down and make yourself paint.  Having something else going, such as a conversation or television show, is also crucial to getting through everything.  I suggest trying to do a coat on all of your models at once, as when I split it up I didn't feel like I had made any progress, and didn't want to come back to painting. 

So yeah, pictures should be up by the weekend.  Hope you enjoy them!

No comments:

Post a Comment