Upcoming North Carolina Tournaments





Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Committing to Cryx



The latter half of 2010 had me trying out a great many new board games, all of which were a lot of fun.  At the end of the day, however, war games are my absolute favorite.  I think it's really the variable play that these types of games offer, along with a chance to paint and model.  While I remain first and foremost a Warhammer Fantasy fanatic, I have had the chance recently to play some good 40K games, as well as try out Mark II Warmachine. 

Mark II seems to have greatly improved over Mark I, in that the overwhelming abilities of feats and other abilities to completely dictate (and end) the game in one shot have been tuned down.  The game does seem more chess-like, instead of cheese-like, and has a nice decision tree flavor to it, in that resources are carefully allocated / used early in order to fuel a series of actions that can have different outcomes, and planning for those outcomes in order to arrive at the best conclusion in the key to the game. 

For my birthday, I picked up a good chunk of Cryx, and have been painting and playing away.  It's been good so far, and pictures should be forthcoming.  I like the speedy, debuffing play style of the faction, and have never minded fragile, hard hitting armies previously.  I have my first 35 point game tonight, against Circle, so we'll see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment