Upcoming North Carolina Tournaments





Thursday, February 25, 2010

Models that Inspire Me: Firey Angel by Victoria Lamb


Way back in the day (okay, about three years ago), when I picked up my first model sets (Macragge and Skull Pass, respectively), I got a White Dwarf at the same time.  I remember flipping through it, not really understanding much of it, but eventually hitting the page where this model was featured and having my first "Wow" moment. 

I love two things about this miniature.  The first should be immediately obvious:  the fire and lighting effects.  I remember thinking that I'd never be able to paint anything like that, and I still can't come anywhere close.  The thing I love most about the miniature, however, is something I've actively tried to do with my miniatures when I can, and that is the sense of motion and story that the models here convey.  It's not two combatants standing around and looking at each other, it's a still picture of an active moment.  I love the waving arms of the Kan as the fire strikes, and the sense of wonder you get as you try to figure out what is going to happen next. 

If I can ever convey that sense of story half as well, I'll be happy with my painting and modeling. 

1 comment: