Upcoming North Carolina Tournaments





Monday, January 25, 2010

The Temptation of Blood Angels



The internet is ablaze with rumors of Blood Angels being the next big release for Warhammer 40,000 from Games Workshop.  I love rumors, and have unfortunately been sucked in by the sheer awesomeness that I hear about the Blood Angels.  The question becomes whether I should start a Blood Angels army, and I've attempted to list some pros and cons to help answer the question.

Pros:

1.  I have a ton of Marine models.  I easily have enough unpainted marines to handle the Tactical, Assault, and Devastator Squads, as well as the Rhinos. 
2.  They sound like they hit hard and fast, which is the kind of army that I was looking for in 40K.  I haven't been playing 40K for a while, because my marines, even the Raven Guard, seem plodding and sadly ineffectual in close combat.  Blood Angels have rumors of Furious Charge, flying transports, and all sorts of fun things like that.  So I think they could respark my affection for 40K.   
3.  I do like the color scheme. 
4.  The fluff appears to be moving from the unappealing "Space Vampires" theme to a much more interesting theme of schism within the Chapter between those who want to harness the violence inherent to their genes and those who want to try to rise above it. 

Cons:

1.  I'm in the middle of painting 2,000 points of Imperial Fists, and have Dark Elves (almost done), Beastmen, Trollbloods, and Khador on my plate.  The painting docket is thus very full for an army that I'm not sure I'll get to play much.

2.  There will be some investment in new models, especially the very cool ones that always come out.  So that's some of my potential tournament winnings or spending money invested there instead of Beasts, which is also going to have some minor costs. 
3.  I already have a red and bronze/gold Dark Elf army.  So this won't be new painting territory. 

I have no idea what to do here.  Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated. 

2 comments:

  1. Go the way of a successor chapter. I used to play a Flesh Tearers army (loved my Death Company Furiouso Dreadnought) and they are the epitome of a small elite fighting force. Plus you won't have to paint so much red. Or you have the Angels Sanquine. Split color schemes are "fun" from what I've heard...

    ReplyDelete
  2. blood angels are out now and they are epic in close combat

    ReplyDelete