Upcoming North Carolina Tournaments





Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Heldenhammer: Or How I Learned A Big Lesson From A Tiny Ship


This past weekend, in an almost afterthought to finishing up the painting and basing on my Treekin, I decided to paint the Heldenhammer.  I don't think it's the most exciting ship in the box, but it's one of the few left, so I'm marshalling on to finish the box.  In painting the ship, I learned something very important that is probably self-evident to most people.

I know that there are models, such as the Doomwheel, that require painting sections followed by assembly, rather than the other way around.  I had even heard people say that the Dreadfleet ships needed this process, but I shrugged it off because I wanted to assemble them and play the game.  Whoops!

Those sails were a monster to paint.  There was no space, and I did good just to get some gold on there.  It's not sloppy, but I wish I could have gotten in there to really work on the finer details.  Keeping the sails off the ship until they were painted could have accomplished that.

Oh well, you live and you learn, and I'm glad I had this lesson driven home by a Dreadfleet ship, rather than something like a Screaming Bell.

1 comment:

  1. It still looks fabulous. The sails have a very natural feel, and the hull detail and tones are wonderfully subdued. I like what you've done with the sea too - it looks treacherous.

    ReplyDelete